How do I apply to the MPH program?
Application is made through the BYU Graduate Studies office. Apply here. The application deadline is February 1.
What are the university admission requirements for the MPH Program?
- Application Deadline - Submit a complete application before February 1
- Honor Code - Agree to live BYU's standards of personal conduct as stated in the Honor Code
- Bachelor's Degree - Earn a bachelor's or higher-level degree from an accredited U.S. university or the equivalent from a university outside the United States
- Minimum GPA - Earn a 3.2 cumulative grade-point average
- Language Standard -All applicants who have not received a bachelor's degree (or higher) from an educational institution in the United States or from one of the exempt countries (Canada, the U.K., the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, or Australia) are required to submit official IELTS or TOEFL scores in order to be considered for admission. Please note: The degree must not be older than 2 years at the time of enrollment to qualify for the exemption.
- IELTS - Overall band score of 7.0 (minimum band score of 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL (Computer-based) - 237
- TOEFL (Paper-based) - 580
- TOEFL iBT - Total score of 85 (minimum score of 22 in Speaking and minimum score of 21 in Listening, Reading, and Writing)
What are the department admission requirements for the MPH Program?
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - Take the GRE. You may visit the following website for more information: http://www.gre.org/splash.html. A combined score of 300 for the verbal and quantitative sections is the minimum standard. A combined score of 308 is desirable. A score of 4.0 (6 points possible) or higher is desirable on the analytical writing section of the general test. The analytical writing section of the test is required. All applicants have a valid GRE score from within the past 5 years.
- Statement of Intent - Include a statement of professional interest and related goals in public health and health promotion not to exceed 1000 words in length. This statement of professional interest must include the following: (a) preparation and background for the MPH program, (b) career goals in public health, (c) basic reasons for choosing a career in public health, (d) special qualities and talents that would enhance success in your public health career, (e) research interests, (f) professional interests, and (g) reasons for applying to Brigham Young University’s MPH program.
- Letter of Recommendation - Include in the three letters of recommendation (Forms C1-C3 in the graduate application) attesting to your experience in public health or how your background has prepared you for a career in public health. This information is to be provided in addition to the general instructions for the letters of recommendation. Only one letter may be written by a faculty member in the Department of Health Science.
- Public Health Experience - Include any relevant experience in public health among underserved or at-risk populations in domestic or international settings in your application or your statement of intent.
- Resume - Upload your resume to your online application.
For more information on the program and why others have chosen BYU, click here.
Check our Frequently Asked Questions page to find answers to our commonly asked questions!