Prospective Students & Admissions
How do I apply to the MPH program?
Graduate applications are submitted online through the BYU Graduate Studies office. The application deadline is February 1. Interested applicants may apply here.
What are the university admission requirements for the MPH program?
- Application Deadline - Submit a complete application before February 1.
- Honor Code - Agree to live BYU's standards of personal conduct as stated in the Honor Code. Obtain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement at endorse.byu.edu.
- Bachelor's Degree - Earn a bachelor's or higher-level degree from an accredited U.S. university or the equivalent from a university outside the United States.
- Minimum GPA - Earn a 3.2 cumulative grade-point average for the last 60 hours of upper-level course work.
- Language Standard - All applicants who have not received a bachelor's degree (or higher) from an educational institution in the United States or from one of the exempt countries (Canada, the U.K., the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, or Australia) are required to submit official E3PT, IELTS or TOEFL scores in order to be considered for admission. Please note: The degree must not be older than 2 years at the time of enrollment to qualify for the exemption.
- E3PT - Overall minimum score of 79 (with minimum speaking, reading, and listening scores of 21, and a minimum writing score of 16). Information regarding the E3PT is available here.
- IELTS - Overall band score of 7.0 (minimum band score of 6.0 in each module) Information regarding the IELTS is available here.
- TOEFL (Computer-based) - 237
- TOEFL (Paper-based) - 580
- TOEFL iBT - Total score of 85 (minimum score of 22 in Speaking and minimum score of 21 in Listening, Reading, and Writing). Information regarding the TOEFL is available here. BYU does not accept the TOEFL ITP test as an English proficiency exam for graduate school.
What are the department admission requirements for the MPH program?
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - Take the GRE and have scores sent to BYU Graduate Studies. Information regarding the GRE may be found here. A combined score of 300 for the verbal and quantitative sections is the minimum standard. A combined score of 308 is desirable. A score of 4.0 (6 points possible) or higher is desirable on the analytical writing section of the general test. The analytical writing section of the test is required. All applicants must have a valid GRE score from within the past 5 years.
- Statement of Intent - Include a statement of professional interest and related goals in public health not to exceed 1000 words in length. This statement of professional interest must include the following: (a) preparation and background for the MPH program, (b) career goals in public health, (c) basic reasons for choosing a career in public health, (d) special qualities and talents that would enhance success in your public health career, (e) research interests, (f) professional interests, and (g) reasons for applying to Brigham Young University’s MPH program.
- Letter of Recommendation - Include in the three letters of recommendation (Forms C1-C3 in the graduate application) attesting to your experience in public health or how your background has prepared you for a career in public health. This information is to be provided in addition to the general instructions for the letters of recommendation. Only one letter may be written by a faculty member in the Department of Public Health.
- Public Health Experience - Include any relevant experience in public health among underserved or at-risk populations in domestic or international settings in your application or your statement of intent.
- Resume - Upload your resume to your online application.